/u/l3xica1 on Hey, Aces of Reddit... we need to talk about your recent behavior...

Completely with you on this one. I got so excited when I saw this meme, because it was the first time outside of this sub that I'd seen any sort of ace representation at all. I went into the comments expecting it to be filled with other aces getting excited over other people remembering that we exist, but instead found a load of people calling op and other commentors out for misrepresenting part of the ace community, and it just made me really sad.

Like, I get that not every single one of us could see ourselves in that meme - I certainly couldn't. I'm sex-repulsed and questioning aro, and I've been in a long term relationship with another ace since I was 15/16. I've never gone out drinking in bars or clubs, and prefer to spend my time in the dark playing overwatch with my friends, so I would never want to give or get someone's phone number, but so what? We're not a very well known community to people outside it, so sure, people need to be educated at some point, but let's politely do it when our existence is recognised regularly, as opposed to rudely shutting down the few bits of representation we get just because it doesn't fit you exactly.





March 21, 2021 at 11:26PM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.