Guy I dated treated me like a therapist. Idk if I should be flattered or skeptical.

I really want to know how the guys feel about this and also what girls would do in this situation.

For context, at this point, we weren't even together yet and we were only at the courting stage and doing it long distance. We only had 3-4 dates so it hasn't been very long.

We would have frequent video calls where we mostly talk about his life problems and anxieties. He would tell me all about his family drama, even problems he has with his best friend.

He would always ask for assurance from me and ask me to comfort him when he has attacks. I always listened to him and did my best to comfort him but I was slowly feeling less and less attracted to him as time went on. I felt more like an amateur therapist than a potential girlfriend. It came to the point where I started suggesting that he could go to his college counsellor or an older and wiser friend because they might be able to give more professional advice compared to me. It was also starting to make me feel down whenever I talk to him because I also had depression so how can I help him when I was struggling with my own demons?

I'm torn between feeling appreciative that he trusted me so much that he even shared private info with me and feeling skeptical as to how he would talk about his close friends and family to someone he hasn't known for a long time. He also shared so much info about his exes and admirers that I feel like he hasn't moved on from them yet

Towards the end, I was so busy with school and extracurriculars and jobs at the time and I would barely have time to video chat with him. I made this clear to him repeatedly but he was so needy and clingy. Whenever I forget to reply, he'd think I'm not interested in him anymore. He broke it off because I couldn't give him the assurance and attention he needs from me. I agreed that maybe we're just not compatible because I won't be able to give him my full attention all the time.

So, what do you think? What would you do?



Submitted July 25, 2021 at 11:21PM

I really want to know how the guys feel about this and also what girls would do in this situation.For context, at this point, we weren't even together yet and we were only at the courting stage and doing it long distance. We only had 3-4 dates so it hasn't been very long.We would have frequent video calls where we mostly talk about his life problems and anxieties. He would tell me all about his family drama, even problems he has with his best friend.He would always ask for assurance from me and ask me to comfort him when he has attacks. I always listened to him and did my best to comfort him but I was slowly feeling less and less attracted to him as time went on. I felt more like an amateur therapist than a potential girlfriend. It came to the point where I started suggesting that he could go to his college counsellor or an older and wiser friend because they might be able to give more professional advice compared to me. It was also starting to make me feel down whenever I talk to him because I also had depression so how can I help him when I was struggling with my own demons?I'm torn between feeling appreciative that he trusted me so much that he even shared private info with me and feeling skeptical as to how he would talk about his close friends and family to someone he hasn't known for a long time. He also shared so much info about his exes and admirers that I feel like he hasn't moved on from them yetTowards the end, I was so busy with school and extracurriculars and jobs at the time and I would barely have time to video chat with him. I made this clear to him repeatedly but he was so needy and clingy. Whenever I forget to reply, he'd think I'm not interested in him anymore. He broke it off because I couldn't give him the assurance and attention he needs from me. I agreed that maybe we're just not compatible because I won't be able to give him my full attention all the time.So, what do you think? What would you do?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.