/u/Thornescape on Hey :) just wondering, how did your family react to you coming out?

I'm demisexual, which is in the asexual spectrum but different. My brother and mother had the same reaction, "But isn't everyone is like that?"

It's not as bad as it sounds, because frankly I'm fairly certain that both of them are demisexual. Neither of them can understand why anyone would ever cheat or be sexually attracted to anyone other than their partners. They don't understand how anyone could be anything other than demisexual.

They were supportive of it, just didn't see how it was an issue.

I did have one friend who kept trying to convince me over and over that she read that "demisexuals are all pansexual, because gender isn't the point". I eventually got frustrated with that response, considering I'm hetero and demisexual. It comes to a point where they are negating your specific experience with stuff written by someone who didn't know the full picture. (The blogger was probably pan and demi and figured every demi must be pan too, of course.)





February 21, 2021 at 11:39PM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.