/u/kaitekat-ame on as I am a god I can confirm that yes I do

When my husband and I were planning our marriage, he was living half a continent away at the time, so the planning part generally fell to me. Despite my husband and I being agnostic, my mom REALLY wanted us married by the Christian pastor in her little town. I figured it couldn't hurt to talk to him, so mom had him over. I had never met the man before, but I figured if mom liked him he must be okay.

He uh....he was not okay.

He basically went on this longwinded rant about how marriage was a ship and it could only have one captain, and how that captain must be the husband. He told me about how his daughter struggled with this when she was younger, but now she is happily married and has accepted her proper place under her husband. Also, he told me that he generally didn't marry couples without 6 months of marriage counselling by himself.

Because this was a very small town and I loved my mother, I listened politely and excused myself ASAP. Mom entertained him for a little while longer and then after he left, quietly came to me and explained that she had no idea he was like that. I don't think she'd ever actually gone to one of his sermons.

After that, she had NO problem with me going with my original plan of a civil wedding in her backyard.





December 03, 2020 at 11:52PM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.