/u/ickyjinx on For all my fellow aces and community, something to learn.

It's important to note that several of the DSM disorders aren't to pathologist the behaviors, but to provide accessible diagnoses for people who find the behavior patterns to be a problem, which allows insurance to cover it.

Similarly, a child might for all intents and purposes be phonological dyslexic, but have a sight word vocabulary at a genius level, negating a need for services. What I'm getting at here is that a disability is required to be a deficit as well as having a substantial adaptive impact.

Aces may be fringe in their sexual drives, but they don't see a problem with how that plays out in life. People with a sexual dysfunction that want to have sex and are bothered by lack of arousal deserve to get the help they desire.

Some of the posts here have taken a conspiracy theorist bent - while I respect that the DSM has historically had a track record of use that has left many sexual minorities wanting over the decades, over-normalizing hypoarousal for people who don't want to be that way is just as damaging as the way minorities feel when told to normalize.

That's just my fifteen cents. 🤷





September 18, 2020 at 11:26PM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.