/u/twistingvalley on Experience of asexual men in sex ed classes

Sex ed was ~14 years ago for me (bloody hell it doesn't feel that long), UK based if that makes any difference.

In the UK, at least when I was at school, you had non-mandatory sex ed in year 5 (9/10 years old) but for my class our teacher decided not to teach it to us as they had the choice within the curriculum, and then mandatory sex ed in year 7 (11/12 years old).

I didn't notice at all that I was going through a different experience to my peers. I was a late developer, and came from a house where sex, dating, etc weren't even mentioned, so I felt quite uncomfortable with the topic. It didn't occur to me that my experience was unusual because I avoided conversations around sex, and my friends didn't bring it up too much (we were only 11/12).

The time things became a bit more apparent was when we were about 14/15 and my friends would have whole discussions about who was "hot" which obviously meant little to me, but I went along with it assuming I was still a bit late to the puberty party and would understand a bit later what they meant.

Sadly took me until I was 19 to realise it wasn't just late development and I wouldn't understand, but hey. I had an odd set of circumstances I guess.





July 14, 2020 at 11:37PM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.