How do I learn how to date and find a relationship, otherwise how could I improve my method of finding one

I genuinely don’t understand it. I ask for advice and it seems my view on the whole subject is incorrect or that I apparently approach things poorly.

I’ve only been on a date with maybe 2 people at most and in online dating, have maybe tried to plan something only to be ghosted or I was given a last minute excuse by several people. Maybe 3 ish people have said to me that they only like me as a friend out of those I’ve tried to build a relationship with who I’ve met in person. It’s weird to me how some people regularly get dates or are so successful in even trying to date a smaller amount of people.

My current methods for testing waters with people to see if they would be interested are: 1. I’ll usually find the opportunity to talk to them and get to know them, usually as friends (why would I date someone I don’t want to be friends with?) 2. If we get along, and it turns out I’m growing feelings, I’ll try to see if I can find any hint that they might feel the same, or I’ll ask them to go out/hang out, etc. 3. If 2 goes well, Find a good opportunity to say that I’m catching feelings and if they’d want to go out.

Maybe I don’t get things or this sounds like a bad approach, but I really can’t see myself just blinding asking someone out or for their social media until I’ve talked to them for a bit or built up some form of baseline relationship. It feels awful and so wrong to me to try to add someone and only a little while after possibly remove them or not talk to them anymore because the only thing in mind was to try to date them.

How should I change my approach with my thought process in mind, otherwise, how can I improve my whole “friendship first, if I like them during the process then I like them and will see if it’s possible, otherwise stay friends” method?



Submitted November 26, 2022 at 12:11AM

I genuinely don’t understand it. I ask for advice and it seems my view on the whole subject is incorrect or that I apparently approach things poorly.I’ve only been on a date with maybe 2 people at most and in online dating, have maybe tried to plan something only to be ghosted or I was given a last minute excuse by several people. Maybe 3 ish people have said to me that they only like me as a friend out of those I’ve tried to build a relationship with who I’ve met in person. It’s weird to me how some people regularly get dates or are so successful in even trying to date a smaller amount of people.My current methods for testing waters with people to see if they would be interested are: 1. I’ll usually find the opportunity to talk to them and get to know them, usually as friends (why would I date someone I don’t want to be friends with?) 2. If we get along, and it turns out I’m growing feelings, I’ll try to see if I can find any hint that they might feel the same, or I’ll ask them to go out/hang out, etc. 3. If 2 goes well, Find a good opportunity to say that I’m catching feelings and if they’d want to go out.Maybe I don’t get things or this sounds like a bad approach, but I really can’t see myself just blinding asking someone out or for their social media until I’ve talked to them for a bit or built up some form of baseline relationship. It feels awful and so wrong to me to try to add someone and only a little while after possibly remove them or not talk to them anymore because the only thing in mind was to try to date them.How should I change my approach with my thought process in mind, otherwise, how can I improve my whole “friendship first, if I like them during the process then I like them and will see if it’s possible, otherwise stay friends” method?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.