/u/Huntracony on “You’re too young to know if you’re asexual.”

Heads-up, this comment came out reading pretty angry. This is unintentional (and I failed to fix it). I have some disagreements but I'm not trying to call you a bad person or anything.

To be honest, I don't think it's tough at all. I think it's kinda messed up to tell people they shouldn't identify a certain way because it may harm the community. It's not anyone's responsibility to uphold the image of the community. Yeah, children identifying a-spec "growing out of it" may give ammunition to aphobes to infantilize us, but that's not the fault of the children and they should never be held responsible for the actions of aphobes. Identities (especially orientations) of young people are often in flux but still equally valid.

That said, I'm curious how many children who identify a-spec end up allo in adulthood. My gut says the percentage is low as, while I agree that children don't experience sexual attraction like teens and adults do, children do often seem to have like a pre-sexual attraction. Though maybe I'm just conflating romantic and sexual attraction. Even then, most people's sexual orientation aligns with their romantic orientation. Anyway, I'd love to see some numbers but I don't think we have any.





January 03, 2022 at 12:01AM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.