/u/platonicaceofhearts on Does anybody think back on certain childhood moments and think "wow I should've realized I was ace a long time ago"?

this is so relatable it’s actually ridiculous. the making up crushes, definitely, but among other things. i didn’t know aromanticism or asexuality even existed till the past year, but i have had the biggest “oh this explains literally everything” moments. #1 goes to me realizing why for years i have gotten bent out of shape over how romanticized media is. i genuinely could rant for an hour or more about how stupid it is that characters on tv always have to fall in love with any character their sexuality allows for. it seems two characters can never just be friends if they can be attracted to each other. unrealistic. and if there did happen to be two characters who were truly just platonic, either the writers would make it romantic and/or sexual or thousands of people online would ship them. this made me so angry because people in real life, believe it or not, have friends??? and in my opinion, platonic friendships can be equally or even more valuable than romantic or sexual ones. both then and to this day, it makes me bitter that people don’t value platonic relationships as much as romantic relationships. off the top of my head i could list sooooo many examples of characters with platonic relationships that the internet has seen and decided they’re in love (as if their friendship isn’t beautiful unless it’s romantic), and i could also go on and on about fictional couples that were much better platonic and their relationship dynamic was ruined by writers making them falling in love. so yeah, i have a lot of opinions about this. and sometimes i feel like putting my head in my hands because it is so painfully obvious to me now why i had these feelings! #2 for “oh that explains everything” moments would probably go to me never having a celebrity crush or understanding them, plus my discomfort and confusion every time someone talked about how hot and/or sexy a celebrity, character, or person was. i was lost. glad i’m not lost anymore!

p.s. i am so so sorry i didn’t realize how long that was until i posted it





May 12, 2021 at 11:49PM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.