/u/heckinfast on What made you realize you where asexual/aromantic?

As a teenager I was completely disinterested in dating/relationships. All of my friends were dating, having sex, and having crushes on people and I couldn’t understand how they obsessed over those things, though at times I felt very out of the loop and I kind of felt pressured to like people just so I could fit in. I never actually dated or genuinely crushed on anyone in my teens, though. Some of my friends would joke about setting me up with someone and it would make me really uncomfortable (Thankfully they never did).

I attributed it to being a late bloomer, but when high school ended and college started I still didn’t feel any sort of romantic or sexual inclination towards anyone, and I still didn’t feel like I wanted or needed to be in a relationship. I didn’t know what asexuality was until I was in my early twenties. I think I randomly stumbled upon an article on the internet discussing how Jughead, the character from the Archie Comics, was notorious for having a disinterest in relationships, and how it can be seen as asexual behaviour. I always loved reading the comics as a kid and Jughead was my favourite character; his apathy towards romance really stuck out to me, though at the time I wasn’t aware why I resonated so strongly with it. This article really brought a lot of things to light, and it got me researching asexuality. I eventually figured it out from there.





October 18, 2020 at 11:29PM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.