/u/SpaceItch on I hate the “But at the end of the day, they’re your parents,” argument

I agree that's a terrible argument. Just because you only have one of something doesn't automatically make that thing a good addition to your life. You can have only ONE (biological) dad, but that doesn't magically make him a good parent. If you have e.g. an abusive parent (as it sounds like in your case) there simply no excuse for that abuse. Period. That's still one toxic person, and that's one toxic person too much. If someone is toxic, they should be cut off from your life. Doesn't matter if they are a family member, that doesn't minimize the damage their toxicity can cause. Actually, the harm family members can cause is sometimes the worst abuse because they often have the power of proximity, which can seriously fuck someone up. You don't have a obligation to keep in touch with family members. You don't get to choose your family members but you do get to choose if you want them to remain in your life when you're an adult.





September 12, 2020 at 11:50PM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.