/u/MySucculentDied on How would you like to see yourselves represented in media?

I’ll be a bit more descriptive than the other comments. If you plan on focusing in on the sexualities of your characters then it’s definitely good to understand important aspects of them. If you don’t plan on focusing too much on the sexualities, then the character just being asexual, mentioning it casually or whatever, is good enough for a lot of us.

That being said, some important things to consider:

(I don’t know how much you know about asexuality, so bare with me)

Asexuality is a spectrum that crosses over every other sexuality. Meaning you can be homoromantic asexual, panromantic, heteroromantic, etc, or something like bi-greysexual (rare attraction to male or females, possibly under specific circumstances). There’s also aro ace people who don’t experience either romantic or sexual attraction. This one is probably the most easy to explain to an audience without all of the extra complexities.

There’s also sex-positive, indifferent, averse and repulsed aces. Repulsed would be the easiest to describe to an audience, though all 4 are completely valid. I’m sex-indifferent so I don’t really care about sex. I can live without it, but I’m okay with having it. I’m just very neutral on the topic.

Since your story will be fantasy it could be cool to have a subtle nod to dragons in your ace character. It’s definitely a stereotype/joke within the community, so some people may appreciate a little nod to that, some people may not like it, I personally would find it funny and enjoy that subtle nod to the community. Ex: the person has a family crest that’s a dragon, idk.

Basically just write a normal character who’s asexual, and not just ace because of a medical issue or trauma or something. If the character just IS asexual, and that’s it, a lot of us would appreciate it.





September 01, 2020 at 11:41PM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.