Have your pets been the deal breaker for a potential long term partner?

So I (M,33) have two small parrots that I love to death (a green cheek conure and a canary winged parakeet both about half way through their expected life cycles of 15-20 years and the CWP is mildly internet famous. I wish I was making that up lol)

They have apparently been the reason the last few ladies that I tried to start something SERIOUS AND LONG TERM with weren’t interested or backed out and it almost always followed the “do you have pets question”.

The birds seem to be winners with short term partners or anyone that just want to be friends.

Maybe most people don’t realize how much time their pets take up, or how annoying dogs and cats can be, or they aren’t giving them the time they actually need, but birds are not that different from dogs as far as the amount of time they require.

So, and not that I’d EVER ask a perspective long term partner to give up a pet, I don’t like cats and am indifferent to dogs and I don’t really want either in my life again but I’ve had both and would do my best to adjust for the right partner; but I’m getting the vibe that I’m expected to give up my pets that I care for as much as they care for their dogs or cats?

My brother’s fiancée has told me to do as much, so I do worry this may be the case.

This is broken thinking to me.

I’m in the process of getting a house and they will have their own room, they are bonded to me so no one else will have to or really will be allowed to be handling them, their clean up is not something I’d expect anyone else to take care of, and while they are loud it’s primarily during the day when no one is normally home and if they think someone is home they only do occasional flock calls.

Since it would be some time before I let anyone move in with me again anyway, I’m not sure why they are an issue.

Anyone else have this problem with their pets?



Submitted April 30, 2022 at 12:04AM

So I (M,33) have two small parrots that I love to death (a green cheek conure and a canary winged parakeet both about half way through their expected life cycles of 15-20 years and the CWP is mildly internet famous. I wish I was making that up lol)They have apparently been the reason the last few ladies that I tried to start something SERIOUS AND LONG TERM with weren’t interested or backed out and it almost always followed the “do you have pets question”.The birds seem to be winners with short term partners or anyone that just want to be friends.Maybe most people don’t realize how much time their pets take up, or how annoying dogs and cats can be, or they aren’t giving them the time they actually need, but birds are not that different from dogs as far as the amount of time they require.So, and not that I’d EVER ask a perspective long term partner to give up a pet, I don’t like cats and am indifferent to dogs and I don’t really want either in my life again but I’ve had both and would do my best to adjust for the right partner; but I’m getting the vibe that I’m expected to give up my pets that I care for as much as they care for their dogs or cats?My brother’s fiancée has told me to do as much, so I do worry this may be the case.This is broken thinking to me.I’m in the process of getting a house and they will have their own room, they are bonded to me so no one else will have to or really will be allowed to be handling them, their clean up is not something I’d expect anyone else to take care of, and while they are loud it’s primarily during the day when no one is normally home and if they think someone is home they only do occasional flock calls.Since it would be some time before I let anyone move in with me again anyway, I’m not sure why they are an issue.Anyone else have this problem with their pets?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.