/u/vansmg15 on So my mom thinks it isn’t possible for someone to be asexual. . .

So sorry you had to go through that! Really hope the situation with your parents improves in the future, and remember you have the support of a whole community here.

Personally, the first time I came out to my parents, they didn’t say anything against it but were still pretty dismissive, as if it wasn’t something of importance, and still thinking I would change my mind in the future. It took me a few separate talks, some years apart, to slowly keep clarifying the concept to them, explaining what being aroace really meant, and also to open up about how their initial reaction had hurt me. It was a slow process but they did change their attitude. They started asking me questions and saying they wanted to learn more about aromanticism and asexuality so that I could could feel free to share my experiences with them.

So yeah, don’t loose hope. Aphobia tends to come from a place of ignorance and it is possible to slowly introduce the concept to them and have them change their minds. That said, it’s also important to sometimes put yourself first and remember that you don’t owe anyone anything. No one deserves to struggle like this and sometimes we have to look after ourselves. If they don’t change their minds, you still have a family in the ace community.





May 31, 2021 at 11:42PM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.