/u/StevieGalli on i thought of this during class

Same. I didn't know I was ace in middle school, and I was very sheltered and assumed that since doing hetero sexy things and being straight was a choice, that doing gay sexy things was also a choice. Same about trans folks, I thought it was a fetish to want to change gender/sex because of how much furry art and fanfiction I saw on the internet of it, but then I did some reading and learned about chimerism and transhumanism and whatnot and realized that was also not a choice.

I grew up in a semi-conservative household in Texas, surrounded by some.conservative people, and the impression I get is that people are often homophobic because they believe it's a choice, and they believe LGBTQ+ are just extra-horny sexual deviants who aren't satisfied by cishetero culture, looking for extreme forms of self-gratification... which obviously isn't the case.

Homophobic aces exist. Transphobic aces exist. I used to be one of them a long, long, long time ago. Even if it was before I knew I was ace. And I repent of it. So I don't know why everyone in this comments section is getting their jimmies so rustled.





October 15, 2020 at 11:38PM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.