I just got out of a long term relationship and have no clue how to interact with people anymore.

I (26M) just recently got out of a 9 year relationship and I'm struggling with trying to meet new people.

Some back story on why I have no social skills.

Ive always been fairly introverted and never been the greatest with approaching people, but I used to have quite a few friends that I'd get out and hang with.

Throughout the first year of the relationship with my ex I ended up disassociating with pretty much everyone, getting rid of all social media and stopped doing a lot of the things I enjoyed. We always did everything together so i didn't notice the issues there until way later. She had self esteem issues and it made her uncomfortable when I'd talk to or spend time with friends, whether male or female, so over time I just stopped talking to everyone.

After 9 years of avoiding developing any meaningful relationships or even having a conversation that amounted to more than "how are you today?" I'm at a loss as to how to approach people and hold a conversation, especially with women, considering I've been "trained" to avoid talking to or interacting with women for so long, it still feels like I'm doing something wrong just by trying to get to know someone.

I really don't even know what I'm asking for advice on since I'm at a loss on so many aspects of relationship building. I'd like to get back into dating and meeting new people, get out of my comfort zone, and get out more.

Any comments, suggestions, and advice would be greatly appreciated and if you want me to elaborate on or explain anything else just ask.



Submitted May 26, 2020 at 12:01AM

I (26M) just recently got out of a 9 year relationship and I'm struggling with trying to meet new people.Some back story on why I have no social skills.Ive always been fairly introverted and never been the greatest with approaching people, but I used to have quite a few friends that I'd get out and hang with.Throughout the first year of the relationship with my ex I ended up disassociating with pretty much everyone, getting rid of all social media and stopped doing a lot of the things I enjoyed. We always did everything together so i didn't notice the issues there until way later. She had self esteem issues and it made her uncomfortable when I'd talk to or spend time with friends, whether male or female, so over time I just stopped talking to everyone.After 9 years of avoiding developing any meaningful relationships or even having a conversation that amounted to more than "how are you today?" I'm at a loss as to how to approach people and hold a conversation, especially with women, considering I've been "trained" to avoid talking to or interacting with women for so long, it still feels like I'm doing something wrong just by trying to get to know someone.I really don't even know what I'm asking for advice on since I'm at a loss on so many aspects of relationship building. I'd like to get back into dating and meeting new people, get out of my comfort zone, and get out more.Any comments, suggestions, and advice would be greatly appreciated and if you want me to elaborate on or explain anything else just ask.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.