Confused on “cultural differences”

I’m Canadian and both my parents are of Indian background. I’ve been seeing this girl who came to Canda from Latin America to study.

We’ve been dating for about 3 months.

Last week she brought up the fact that a lot of her classmates are international students from India and that their culture and behaviour was a bit of a shock to her.

She mentioned that she’s apprehensive of taking things further because she’s afraid my family would be a similar strict culture and social setting.

Honestly I was a little shocked because she doesn’t know my family at all and I felt bad being generalized based on her experiences with a select group of people.

I did explain to her that, while I do have a Indian background, I know that my parents who’ve lived here since they were kids have a very open mindset and cultural outlook.

That doesn’t seem to have convinced her and I’m struggling with if I should even pursue this since she doesn’t seem to be willing to look at this with an open mind.

What are your thoughts? Thanks!



Submitted July 09, 2019 at 11:24PM

I’m Canadian and both my parents are of Indian background. I’ve been seeing this girl who came to Canda from Latin America to study.We’ve been dating for about 3 months.Last week she brought up the fact that a lot of her classmates are international students from India and that their culture and behaviour was a bit of a shock to her.She mentioned that she’s apprehensive of taking things further because she’s afraid my family would be a similar strict culture and social setting.Honestly I was a little shocked because she doesn’t know my family at all and I felt bad being generalized based on her experiences with a select group of people.I did explain to her that, while I do have a Indian background, I know that my parents who’ve lived here since they were kids have a very open mindset and cultural outlook.That doesn’t seem to have convinced her and I’m struggling with if I should even pursue this since she doesn’t seem to be willing to look at this with an open mind.What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.