Getting beyond superficial discussion

So I figure I know what this will lead to, but I'm curious to potentially get a different way of looking at things that might trigger something good.

My extremely quick background: Male, late 20s, work for myself, am healthy/workout, honestly I look decent outside of things I consider glaring flaws others will likely not notice - at least at first. We all have these I guess.

Moved a couple months ago. Live in very young-population city with good mix of city/nature. Always walking my dog, out and about.

Know nobody here outside friendly hello's in my apartment and small talk.

Growing up I had these odd/minor medical and physical issues to fix that were nothing major, but when put all together and over the years of dealing with it & procedures to correct, it resulted in my stunted social skills. Rather, my self-esteem to be honest. Was always in my shell and suppose I still am. I do consider myself to be witty and acceptably social - once I get to know you. Getting to that point is tough. I do also consider myself boring, just, I never seem to be up on movies and music and shit people care about, don't do much besides manage my online business/community and dog stuff and watch my shows and cook and whatnot.

But this resulted in my high school and college years being a loner. Fast forward to today, never had a girlfriend and the whole situation seems foreign to me.

Now...

Here's my thing. I bump into girls a lot due to my (very handsome and Goodboy™ dog), I think we all know that's a great conversation piece. An example conversation I have a few times a week:

  • Oh your dog is so cute, can I pet him?
  • Me: Sure
  • He's so nice
  • Me: Thanks, his name is [insert name here] he's one year old, do you have one?
  • (Yes/no)
  • Me: Haha *hold out leash seriously* would you like (another) one?
  • (Hysterical laughter (not really but whatever))
  • Me: Nah he's a good boy.
  • He is, well thanks!
  • Me: Sure, nice meeting you

And various iterations of that. Maybe throw in a "are you from X?" because of my apparent looks, or asking if I live around here, etc. But always ends with "well it was nice meeting you" and boom, we're on our ways.

I literally do not know how to do anything other than that in such a quick window. Honestly because it seems to out of place to suggest anything - whatever it may be - to a complete stranger in two minutes. I definitely missed the boat when it came to learning this stuff.

I'd love to see this type of meeting in action, and basically just take notes, but that's not really a thing. So here I am.

Hi.



Submitted October 27, 2022 at 05:55PM

So I figure I know what this will lead to, but I'm curious to potentially get a different way of looking at things that might trigger something good.My extremely quick background: Male, late 20s, work for myself, am healthy/workout, honestly I look decent outside of things I consider glaring flaws others will likely not notice - at least at first. We all have these I guess.Moved a couple months ago. Live in very young-population city with good mix of city/nature. Always walking my dog, out and about.Know nobody here outside friendly hello's in my apartment and small talk.Growing up I had these odd/minor medical and physical issues to fix that were nothing major, but when put all together and over the years of dealing with it & procedures to correct, it resulted in my stunted social skills. Rather, my self-esteem to be honest. Was always in my shell and suppose I still am. I do consider myself to be witty and acceptably social - once I get to know you. Getting to that point is tough. I do also consider myself boring, just, I never seem to be up on movies and music and shit people care about, don't do much besides manage my online business/community and dog stuff and watch my shows and cook and whatnot.But this resulted in my high school and college years being a loner. Fast forward to today, never had a girlfriend and the whole situation seems foreign to me.Now...Here's my thing. I bump into girls a lot due to my (very handsome and Goodboy™ dog), I think we all know that's a great conversation piece. An example conversation I have a few times a week:Oh your dog is so cute, can I pet him?Me: SureHe's so niceMe: Thanks, his name is [insert name here] he's one year old, do you have one?(Yes/no)Me: Haha *hold out leash seriously* would you like (another) one?(Hysterical laughter (not really but whatever))Me: Nah he's a good boy.He is, well thanks!Me: Sure, nice meeting youAnd various iterations of that. Maybe throw in a "are you from X?" because of my apparent looks, or asking if I live around here, etc. But always ends with "well it was nice meeting you" and boom, we're on our ways.I literally do not know how to do anything other than that in such a quick window. Honestly because it seems to out of place to suggest anything - whatever it may be - to a complete stranger in two minutes. I definitely missed the boat when it came to learning this stuff.I'd love to see this type of meeting in action, and basically just take notes, but that's not really a thing. So here I am.Hi.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.