GF's cousin came over, not sure if I'm overreacting

I love my GF very much (she is 29, I'm 26).

Backstory: Earlier this year, her cousin who she hasn't seen for over a decade, flew down to visit. In the beginning of our relationship, he flew down and we picked him up from the airport, had dinner, visited Mt. Rainer, etc. They were speaking Vietnamese the entire time, but I've been trying to learn the language since then, and he knows English good so we could talk!

Yesterday, my gf asked to hang out with the family (2 brothers, mom, and dad) because her cousin is only over for 3 days. I said yeah that's fine

But this time, it seemed like he teased me and her a lot, and made some jokes that just didn't really sit well with me.

While at the Viet restaurant, he mentioned jokingly to my gf oh look he's texting another girl (when I went on my phone). My gf kinda looked up and didn't really smile but looked confused / worried, then they started laughing. It felt kinda awkward

Then a few moments went by and we were talking about doordash/uber eats and I mixed some Vietnamese in the sentence my gf taught me, then her cousin said oh "you should just stick to English". He said it in a laughing matter and I was like awww maybe you're right. It felt like a punch in the gut because I've been trying to learn Vietnamese and my gf and her family have helped a lot.

When we got home and my gf started parking, her neighbor was outside raking leaves. Her cousin said oh is that your crush?? Then my gf said nooo my boyfriend is right here (I was sitting the passenger seat). Then her cousin jokingly said, oh you know there is a difference between a crush and a boyfriend right? And my gf kind of laughed and then they spoke in Vietnamese saying something I couldn't understand.

In every instance, I just kind of laughed it off and went along with everything, but I have a gut feeling in my stomach where I don't want to interact or see this individual ever again (I've never felt like this before). I don't feel any animosity just don't want to be around him.

I talked to my girlfriend on the ride home about it, and she said don't worry about it, sorry, he's just rude and teasing. She was very supportive.



Submitted November 20, 2021 at 12:16AM

I love my GF very much (she is 29, I'm 26).Backstory: Earlier this year, her cousin who she hasn't seen for over a decade, flew down to visit. In the beginning of our relationship, he flew down and we picked him up from the airport, had dinner, visited Mt. Rainer, etc. They were speaking Vietnamese the entire time, but I've been trying to learn the language since then, and he knows English good so we could talk!Yesterday, my gf asked to hang out with the family (2 brothers, mom, and dad) because her cousin is only over for 3 days. I said yeah that's fineBut this time, it seemed like he teased me and her a lot, and made some jokes that just didn't really sit well with me.While at the Viet restaurant, he mentioned jokingly to my gf oh look he's texting another girl (when I went on my phone). My gf kinda looked up and didn't really smile but looked confused / worried, then they started laughing. It felt kinda awkwardThen a few moments went by and we were talking about doordash/uber eats and I mixed some Vietnamese in the sentence my gf taught me, then her cousin said oh "you should just stick to English". He said it in a laughing matter and I was like awww maybe you're right. It felt like a punch in the gut because I've been trying to learn Vietnamese and my gf and her family have helped a lot.When we got home and my gf started parking, her neighbor was outside raking leaves. Her cousin said oh is that your crush?? Then my gf said nooo my boyfriend is right here (I was sitting the passenger seat). Then her cousin jokingly said, oh you know there is a difference between a crush and a boyfriend right? And my gf kind of laughed and then they spoke in Vietnamese saying something I couldn't understand.In every instance, I just kind of laughed it off and went along with everything, but I have a gut feeling in my stomach where I don't want to interact or see this individual ever again (I've never felt like this before). I don't feel any animosity just don't want to be around him.I talked to my girlfriend on the ride home about it, and she said don't worry about it, sorry, he's just rude and teasing. She was very supportive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.