/u/loqist on Sometimes it feels like microlabels are out of control.

I don't think this is an asexuality-specific concern. This video is a wonderful retrospective analysis of the topic although it takes a look at hyperniche gender labels.

There is a point at which the function of labels breaks down and everyone is better off advertising and embracing themselves as unique individuals. For instance, if you say to me that you're stargender, what does that mean? I have to interrogate you in order to understand the experience that label failed to describe adequately. I wouldn't call hyperspecificity problematic, but microlabels so abstract or individualized as to have no practical use are by nature useless to the external world and exist only for the edification of their user.

I too am uncomfortable when I see people suggesting microlabels to questioning posters since they can easily misguide those questioning their gender/sexuality. When one feels conflicting feelings, searching for a microlabel for that specific combination of turmoils is a more instantly gratifying route than the arduous task of untangling one's identity further. I am not saying that's what happened 100% of the time if someone uses a microlabel but from firsthand experience I know they can be very appealing to invest yourself in because the alternative, continuing to question, is a B.





May 04, 2021 at 11:47PM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.