/u/Mawngee on How old were you when you find out?

I was in my mid to late 30s when I realized. Growing up, the only "options" were straight and gay, so never realized that asexuality was an option. In my mid 30s I realized I didn't really care about sex, and figured everyone must be exaggerating. Then earlier this year I was reading more about asexuality and realized that it was an option, and saw signs of it going back to my early teens, and things made a lot more sense.

Lack of awareness/publicity makes it hard for a lot of people to realize. I figure there's not difference in "required" age between asexuality and gay/straight; you don't hear that gay people will become hetero once they're older and "meet the right person". The young age at which some allos said they knew their orientation sounds rather ridiculous to me as an ace, so I don't buy their excuse that aces are too young to know.

I usually jump from "I am asexual" to "I am just too young to experience sexual desires" back and forth.

Experiencing different things can change your perception of yourself, labels are just a way to help you understand and communicate those things about yourself. Choose the label that you feel best fits yourself, and don't feel that you have to be trapped by it.





December 16, 2020 at 11:44PM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.