/u/Macra_Hunter on Historical examples of Asexuals

One of my favorite historical asexuals is the American children’s author Edward Gorey. He only passed away at the turn of the century, so unlike a lot of historical figures we actually have a record of him talking about his lack of sexual attraction. He was also a creative author, an animal lover, and an all around eccentric dude!

Also, no list of historical aces would be complete without Hypatia. She was a Neoplatonist scholar who reportedly held the Platonic standard of friendship much higher than any closeness achieved through physical love. It is also rumored that when a male student came onto her, she took the ancient equivalent of a tampon out and said something to the effect of “genitals are filthy, why would you want sex?” Obviously the ancients didn’t think of themselves in terms of our modern categories of sexuality. Still, does that sound like someone who experiences sexual attraction to you?





July 23, 2020 at 11:14PM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between being right and being understood

My (27f) gf (27f) is getting tired of me not sharing intimate/ personal info about me

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) relationship is confusing to me. I might be the problem, or maybe we are just incompatible.